It’s time to invest in your professional wardrobe. What you wear and what you look like is your 1st opportunity to make a good impression. Whether you like it or not, you’re judged (we’re all judged on how we look, to a certain extent.) –It’s important to look the part, if you want to be taken seriously.
General rule is that you should always dress one level up. Dress for the job/career you want, not the one you’re currently in.
Do you have a signature look? Maybe it’s your hair, or jewellery, or shoes.
You don’t have to spend a fortune to look amazing, but you do need to know how to dress for your body and what type of clothes work best for you.
- Invest in your professional wardrobe. Make a list of all the items you need to complete your look. Then go shopping.
- Always shop with a purchase in mind, don’t just browse the aisles, or you’ll be walking home with things you don’t need or don’t work with your existing clothes.
- Have a complete look. It’s a little lopsided to have an amazing outfit on and then your hair is a disaster or your face is totally shiny and red. Your make-up, hair, jewellery, shoes and outfit should complement each other and portray you in the best light.
- Don’t have too many focal points.
- Only shop when you’re feeling good….don’t shop when you’re emotional. (Visa will love for you to do this)
- Shop in the same retailers so salespeople get to know you and your style.
- Read some style books or magazines for help. to get ideas. Read some style books to help get you started. Obviously anything by Tim Gunn (love him!) Or InStyle (great books). Look through Pinterest (but not for too long!)
- Adjust your wardrobe to the area that you work in. If you’re a Yoga or Fitness Instructor you’ll need to focus on a wardrobe that’s more casual, but still stylish.
Instyle, Glamour and Elle Magazine all recommend the following FASHION ESSENTIALS:
- A good quality T-shirt (white and black).
- Ballet Flats.
- Slip-on sneakers.
- Classic Black pants.
- Skinny jeans or another denim that flatters your body type (in dark blue and black).
- Crewneck sweater.
- Ankle Boots
- Wrap dress (if you like wearing dresses)
- A Pencil skirt.
- Classic tote bag.
- Classic pumps (high-heeled shoes in a neutral hue like black, grey or nude).
- LBD (Little Black Dress)
- Elegant Blazer (I personally LOVE blazers and wear them all the time!)
- A good quality coat.
- Classic white shirt (this never looks good on me, but I love the look on others).
- Statement necklace. Invest in some jewellery.